net/skype, linux_base-fc6 and the missing linux-alsa-lib...

Tue Apr 29 08:42:15 UTC 2008

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> (from Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:14:25 +0400):

> Well, there is a PR about the case:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/122826
> You may use a patch from this PR.
>
> But I'm not sure if it will be committed (I'm not speaking about f8

I don't think it will hurt if the fix for fc6 is committed. There are
users out there which already use the experimental 2.6.16 support, and
it would make their life easier.

> case). The thing is that linux_base-fc{5,6} and linux_base-f7 were
> ports to test FreeBSD with sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
> and let the kernel development improve. Now the kernel development
> is close to switch to osrelease=2.6.16 by default at CURRENT. And
> only linux_base-f8 (or later) may become a default at CURRENT and
> later releases.
>
> Note: almost all linuxolator changes where merged from 8-CURRENT to
> 7-STABLE. But I'm not sure if the default compat.linux.osrelease is
> ever changed to 7.x.

That's a good question. I before we get some data how the transition
from 2.4 to 2.6 in -current works out or the users, we can not give an
answer.

Bye,
Alexander.

--