lzma (Re: HEADS UP: upgrading ImageMagick to 6.4.0-6)

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Tue Apr 22 19:46:51 UTC 2008

Mikhail Teterin <mteterin at mlp.com> wrote:

> The real problem with lzma right now is that lzmautils (already marked as
> incompatible with lzma) installs its own lzma executable, with incompatible
> command-line arguments :-(

I would have preferred for what is now lzmautils to actually replace
the lzma port, but Andrew wasn't happy with that.

The LZMA Utils program follows the usual command line syntax for a
Unix compressor, in agreement with compress/gzip/bzip2.  I think
this is the right way to go, and more importantly, I expect the
Linux herd to move into that direction.  GNU tar already includes
support for lzma and it expects the one from LZMA Utils.

> Maybe, instead of marking the ports as mutually incompatible, one of them
> could be modified to install executables under different names?..

Sure.  The question is, which program do people expect when they
type "lzma" and which one should be renamed?

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de