lzma (Re: HEADS UP: upgrading ImageMagick to 6.4.0-6)

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 22 10:34:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:42:24PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> That's well hidden (DOC/lzam.txt in the tarball).  Someone
> should produce some sort of lzma-lite distribution that only
> does the basics.  Then this could be a practical option.

Unfortunately, a closer look dispelled the hope. The
public-domained files only show how to use the GPL'ed ones. I had
a conversation with the author, who is worried about incompatible
formats being spawned if he releases lzma from under LGPL. He
might change his mind in the future, though.

So I guess we'll have to stick to using lzma from ports for now.