cmucl and sbcl keep crashing on FreeBSD 7.0

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 02:58:52 UTC 2008

,--- You/Xuebin (Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:50:02 +0800) ----*

| To whom may concern:
|
| I check port tree and know that this address is maintainer mailbox for sbcl
| port. I've sent similar mail to cmucl maintainer but had no reply
| yet.

If you look at the CMUCL version in ports, you will find it to be way
old: 19c (which was probably the year 2003) -- i.e. the CMUCL "port"
has not been maintained for quite a while.

The FreeBSD distributions at CMUCL's site have been actively
maintained and you will find both the 19e-pre2 and the 2008-04
snapshot there for all the latest FreeBSD versions (6.3, 7.0 and 8.0)
there.

| I've upgrade to freebsd 7.0 release for quite some times. However, I could
| not run cmucl and sbcl binary from port package. And the attempts to build
| from port tree were also failed. Prebuilt sbcl/cmucl core kept crashing
| every time when building port sources. And clisp compiler complained lots of
| undefined function names when building sbcl source.

Right, you won't be able to build with old (pre 2007-12) CMUCLs on
FreeBSD -- the issue was addressed in November 2007.

| Weird, I saw freebsd site still provide binary port packages for cmucl and
| sbcl both under 7.0-release and 7-stable directories. And there are also
| many fb7.0 precompiled binaries at cmucl offical site for download.

Things are kept current at the CMUCL site -- and that's the place to
get the FreeBSD distributions at this time.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --

/*
 * Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
 */