Ports Request: OpenNMS

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Apr 11 18:08:52 UTC 2008

--On Friday, April 11, 2008 10:33:26 -0700 Mark Foster <mark at foster.cc> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> If you're really serious that you want OpenNMS ported, then it's time
>> to make your contribution to FreeBSD.  :-)  Solicit help from other
>> FreeBSD users who use/want OpenNMS, and work together to distribute
>> the load and get the job done.  There's plenty of people on this list
>> who can help you when you run into problems.
>>
> I couldn't agree more!
> But for the last statement. I have to say I've been underwhelmed with the
> amount of maintainership support I have received from this
> (ports at freebsd.org) list. Perhaps it's just me, I know the ports-mgr are also
> very busy. Or in other cases the answer is just unknown.
> So, as a maintainer I tend to ask google before bugging the list. Is a
> dedicated maintainer-support list  something discussed before?

I think this *is* the dedicated maintainer-support list.  :-)

It's been my experience that most of the questions I ask here are fairly dumb
and easily answered with a little research.  Perhaps that's why some are slow
to answer?  :-)

I discussed, one time, on this list, updating the porting handbook to more
accurately describe the process, but that too requires some work and a PR, so I
just haven't gotten to it yet.  (Which I suspect is everyone's problem.)

I try to help when I can, but I defer to more knowledgeable folks in most
cases.  I know that my porting skills have improved greatly since I first
started and *much* of what I've learned has come from other ports.  If you want
to know how to do a port, study the existing ports - especially ones that are
fairly complex, because those are *usually* done by very knowledgeable people.
(Mine are all relatively simple, mind you.)

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst