FreeBSD Custom Package Server

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Apr 5 19:55:37 UTC 2008

Maxim Khitrov wrote:

> A request for new package should contain in itself all the relevant
> settings. If that means sending the make.conf file from the client to
> the server - fine. Have the build server adapt for each new request,
> build the requested port and dependencies, create the package(s), and
> remove the port from the local system. The client can then download
> the package, build server goes on to process the next request, and no
> disk space is wasted. Am I being a bit overambitious? :)

You'll need not just the data for the package you're going to build, but
the same data for all of the dependencies of that package, and you'll need
to install all of the dependencies in your build area.  How are you going
to handle dealing with OPTIONS screens, not just for the target package
but for its dependencies? Especially when changing the OPTIONS will likely
change the dependency graph.  Not an insurmountable problem, but not trivial
either.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3