postgresql83-server instructions..

Carlos Fernando Assis Paniago Carlos.Paniago at cnptia.embrapa.br
Thu Apr 3 12:53:41 UTC 2008

Hi. Nice job with this port, but yesterday a newbee, ask-me about
postgresql83-server database population (initdb), and I said to him to
follow the  tips in the ports installation. After that I tried it
myself, and find out that the message is out of order...
look:

----

To initialize the database, run

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb

You can then start PostgreSQL by running:

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

For postmaster settings, see ~pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

NB. FreeBSD's PostgreSQL port logs to syslog by default
     See ~pgsql/data/postgresql.conf for more info

To run PostgreSQL at startup, add
'postgresql_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf

---

I try the "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb" and nothing happen,
than I realized that we need this message to be:

---

To run PostgreSQL at startup, add
'postgresql_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf

To initialize the database, run

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb

You can then start PostgreSQL by running:

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

For postmaster settings, see ~pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

NB. FreeBSD's PostgreSQL port logs to syslog by default
     See ~pgsql/data/postgresql.conf for more info

---

To work correctly. We need first the /etc/rc.conf variable
"postgresql_enable="YES"", only after that the initdb worked...
Is it possible to change the order of the message? It will make new
users more happy. Thanks in advance, and you are done a great job
maintaining this ports...

Paniago