keyboard lock light issues - xorg-7.3_1 or fluxbox

Milan Obuch freebsd-ports at dino.sk
Tue Sep 25 22:32:49 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 07:08:24 Rob Clark wrote:
> Running:
> 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Thu Sep 20 12:21:22 EDT
> 2007, xorg-7.3_1, fluxbox-1.0rc3_3 (window manager)
>
> Keyboard:
> IBM KB-8923
>
> Following both the xorg 7.3 update, and new install of the
> most recent fluxbox, I've lost the lock lights on the
> keyboard (i.e., Num Lock and Caps Lock) while running X and
> fluxbox.

It's the same here - I am using KDE suite, and it happened just after xorg
6.9 -> 7.3 upgrade. I just reported it yesterday on x11 list.

> Also had another issue with the f key not working.
> With mplayer full screened, the f key would not allow me to
> reduce the full screen back to original size -- had to
> ctrl-alt-backspace and exit X.

I did not notice any other keyboard related problem, but this says nothing. I
just did not notice any.

> Keyboard appears and works fine in console mode, lights work
> without issue.

Same here - but this is expected, as kernel keyboard driver is set different
ways in two cases - raw mode (key press and release reported with scan codes)
for X, cooked mode (scan codes converted to characters) for console.

> Not sure if this is attributed to the xorg 7.3 update or my
> late migration over to fluxbox-1.0rc3_3 from fluxbox-0.1.14.

As my environment is different, I would say xorg update is the culprit. I
would like to know what I can test - to me it looks like something in xorg's
keyboard driver. If noone has a clue, this would be my starting point for
investigation. It has low priority for me, now, it is annoying, but not life
damaging bug ;)

Regards,
Milan