nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:43:14 PDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2007 21:14:03 falz wrote:
> > I came across this thread on freebsd-questions after some searching on
> > google. I have the exact same issue as others here- if xorg is started
> > with 'nvidia' as the driver, instant reboot. However, my machine is a
> > 100% fresh install with things compiled from source this weekend.
> > However, I did have to install some binary vncserver packages, but
> > they have since been removed.
> >
> > I did the 'xorg' meta port which got me the current xorg-7.3_1. The
> > machine I did the install on was running Debian Unstable for about a
> > year without issue with the same hardware (two cards for 3 monitors):
> >
> > Sep 24 13:41:24 falz kernel: nvidia0: <GeForce 7100 GS> mem
> > 0xdd000000-0xddffffff,0xb0000000-0xbfffffff,0xde000000-0xdeffffff irq
> > 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
> > Sep 24 13:41:24 falz kernel: nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > Sep 24 13:41:24 falz kernel: nvidia1: <GeForce FX 5200> mem
> > 0xdb000000-0xdbffffff,0xc0000000-0xcfffffff irq 18 at device 2.0 on
> > pci3
> > Sep 24 13:41:24 falz kernel: nvidia1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> >

> I forgot, but was there one person in the thread that has only 1 monitor
> attached to 1 card? Cause you're the 3rd I see with multiple monitor issues.
> Ironically, we have one system with CRT + TV-OUT through one card, with no
> issues whatsoever (500GB HDD, DVDRW, rock on!). However I turned off Xinerama
> support from the get go and use TwinView.
>
> With all the Xorg 7.3 issues, I have not gone that road nor plan to anytime
> soon.
>
> I also think we've had all the different cards by now, a quatro, GeForce 5k,
> 7k, 6k...
>
> Maybe someone can build a WITNESS/DDB kernel, since dumping seems to be
> failing?

I was the single monitor issue, on the single monitor it does not
reboot unless you set probe_all_gpu's *BUT* it does fail to reconize
all nVidia cards (so does nv)... as far I can tell neither drive
understands 64bit io space and PCI/AGP... the clue is the addr
conflicts that everyone seems to get... btw I think it might of fried
my 8k but at least gives me vesa with no werid video probs on the 5200
GT I have now (1024x768 ;-()).