Port comparison failed

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 20 15:38:36 PDT 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Eric wrote:

> Anyone have a way to fix this:
>
> <snip portsnap output>
> Building new INDEX files... done.
> portconf-1.2                        !   Comparison failed
> portmaster-1.9                      !   Comparison failed

Version 1.9 is really old, we're up to version 1.20 now. Are you sure your
port tree is up to date?

> it happens when i run portsnap and then get new ports via:
>
> pkg_version -v | grep \<

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work, which leads me to believe
that you've got bigger "issues" lurking somewhere.

> i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the ports above but it didnt fix
> the issue.

I assume that after you reinstalled portmaster that you had version 1.20?

> I use portmaster to update ports. I do not have any other port management
> tool installed.

Before I wrote the -L feature for portmaster, I used to use 'pkg_version
-v -L=' as an alias to find out what needed rebuilding. Assuming you're
using version 1.20 of portmaster, you might want to check the man page and
try the -L option to see if portmaster can find the problem.

hth,

Doug