any standard method to fetch a port's sources from svn (or cvs, etc) ?

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 15 06:05:56 PDT 2007

> It is recommended not to do this.  Some of our users are behind firewalls
> and cannot fetch except via HTTP and FTP.  Instead, you need to create your
> own tarball of the sources checked out from the VCS, possibly using a
> "helper" makefile target that fetches from VCS and creates the tarball for
> republication by you on MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

Another arguments against fetching the source directly from a VCS are:

 - The build may be broken.
 - Security: Snapshots of the VCS have cryptographic checksums in
   distinfo (as every other 'normal' distfile has). Users of the port
   can thus be sure (at least with a probability of 1 - epsilon ;-)
   that they build the same sources as the port maintainer.

--
Best regards / Viele Grüße,                             barner at FreeBSD.org
 Simon Barner                                                barner at gmx.de