portsnap fetch bug or quality

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 13 22:46:21 PDT 2007

Alexander Sizov wrote:
>>> The number of fetching patches (1980) !=  number of fetched patches
>>> (143[8-9]). Why it happens?
>
>> Does it happen only on portsnap3, right?
>
>  Yes.

I dunno why, but portsnap3 had strange behaviors since the beginning.
Apart from speed (it's the slowest from here), I always had
disconnections and errors when fetching many (hundreds) updates, and
recently I saw also the very same mismatch: I thought about another
premature disconnection, but no, it fetched all the updates even if the
number was incorrect. Perhaps Colin can give us an explanation.

--
Alex Dupre