isc-dhcp3-server compile configuration

Joe josepha48 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 10:15:52 PDT 2007

Hello, I am experiencing a problem with the dhcpd server. It seems that for some reason packets are being sent out the wrong interface. I thought it was a bug in natd/ipfw but and after filing a bug was screamed at beacuse they say it is not a bug in natd it was my rules.

The problem is that I have an old dhcpd version 3.0.5 that works but this new binary does not. The old binary works fine with my firewall rules the new binary sends packets out the wrong interface.

The new dhcpd binary gets the dhcp requests, and then responds on a different IP address.  I can see the broadcast request come in on xl0 ( internal interface ) and then I get a message in my logs 'failed to write packet back' from natd.  I added in a few rules to log dhcp going out my external interface and found it was being sent from my external IP address.  While it does sound like a firewall config issue, the rule is actually BEFORE natd touches the packet. Something like:

- allow 220 log udp from any 67,68 to any 67,68
- then natd
- then more rules

The configs are the same between the two, the firewall rules are the same.  The new binary hits rules 220 and the data is logged as going from my external IP address.

Both binaries are stared with:

[path to binary] -cf [path to cfg] -lf /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases xl0

How do I figure out what is causing this?  How do I figure out what my dhcpd binary was compiled with that will make it behave this way?  Is there some place that build config stuff gets put that needs to be deleted?  My /etc/make.conf files are the same.

I've run tcpdump on the internal interface, and I can see client broadcast to 255.255.255.255 but no reply from server on this interface.

I've tried dhcping and if I use -i inform, it comes back with an answer.  It seems that the broadcast reply is getting screwed up in the new binary.

Thanks,
Joe