any standard method to fetch a port's sources from svn (or cvs, etc) ?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 9 08:56:07 PDT 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> as the subject says, i was wondering if there is any standard method
> to fetch the sources for a port from a Subversion (or CVS or other
> scm) repository.
>
> Right now i am doing it with the following sequence
> (the use of update vs checkout is because originally i
> fetched into distfiles, not ${WRKSRC}, and later copied
> the source to WRKSRC)
>
> 	REMOTE_REPO= http://svn.foo.bar/svn/xyz
> 	REPO_CMD=  \
> 		if [ -f xyz ] ; then \
> 			svn update ${REMOTE_REPO} . ; else \
> 		svn checkout ${REMOTE_REPO} . ; fi
>
> 	do-fetch:
> 		${MKDIR} -p ${WRKSRC}
> 		(cd ${WRKSRC}; ${REPO_CMD} )
>
> but there might be better ways, and perhaps if this is a common
> pattern it may be worth having generic support for it ?

It is recommended not to do this.  Some of our users are behind
firewalls and cannot fetch except via HTTP and FTP.  Instead, you need
to create your own tarball of the sources checked out from the VCS,
possibly using a "helper" makefile target that fetches from VCS and
creates the tarball for republication by you on MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

Kris