Last emerald-* update does not work with beryl

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Thu Sep 6 09:05:09 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 11:29 +0200, Willy Picard wrote:
> I would like to inform that the last emerald* ports update (0.2.1 -> 0.5.1) breaks compatibility
> with beryl. After the update, beryl may be started but emerald, even if it may
> be started without any error message, does not appear. As a consequence, windows
> appear without bar. Did I miss something? Am I the only Beryl user facing this
> problem?

No, you didn't miss anything... You need to be switching over to compiz
+ compiz-fusion.  This is the merged compiz + beryl plugins code.  Beryl
is no longer supported really and I will probably deprecate it fairly
soon.

All of the relevant compiz bits are committed now except the config
engine parts, which I have submitted now and should be available very
soon.

> Best regards,
>
> Willy Picard
> PS: I'm using a FreeBSD 6.2 on a x86 machine. I am using KDE and my ports are
> up-to-date.

Ok, the KDE part may be a problem.  I don't have a KDE setup and so it
is disabled in the compiz port.  I'll try and see if I can get it to at
least build cleanly in a tinderbox with KDE enabled for a few folks to
test out...  That said, with the config bits committed it may just work,
even without the kde specific config engine and your using emerald which
means you won't miss the kde-window-decorator.

robert.