portupgrade exits immediately when stdin/out closed

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Tue Sep 4 16:56:48 PDT 2007

I'm debugging a problem with portupgrade being used as part of an automated package
handler within puppet (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com).

The problem is that when the handler executes portupgrade as an external process from
ruby, portupgrade hangs with a script process taking up 100% of the cpu. I suspected that
script isn't designed to be run without a controlling tty. So, I executed portupgrade like
so to test:

portupgrade --new --batch --yes <port> <&- >&- 2>&- &

To my surprise, portupgrade exits immediately with a status of 0. I found an old pr
(bin/56166) describing similar behavior. It looks like script was fixed, but portupgrade
still isn't happy.

This happens with both ports-mgmt/portupgrade and ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel.

Suggestions?

--
Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst

Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
		-- John Keats