mysql51-server doesn't start

Benno bennovandenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 14:24:28 PDT 2007

I recently updated mysql51-server to 5.1.21. But when I try to start
it using mysql-server it gives me the following output and doesn't
start:

> sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start
Password:
Starting mysql.
> [: -eq: unexpected operator

I've tried removing the files and recompiling mysql51-server, and I've
tried removing all files in the /usr/ports/databases/mysql51-server,
extracting the files with portsnap again and then recompiling again.
Even tried deleting the portsnap snapshot, downloaded the snapshot and
extracted everything again. Nothing did help.

When I try to start the application as root without sudo, it still
doesn't start but doesnt give me the '[: -eq: unexpected operator'
part.

I have saved the entire compile session using script if someone wants/needs it.