'make -DNO_DEPENDS install' causing error

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 31 09:44:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:21:54AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>>
>>> Errr... maybe I should actually take a careful look at portmaster first,
>>> but after a cursory look at portmaster.sh.in... how do you handle the
>>> case of a port installation that executes commands from a runtime
>>> dependency?  That is, a runtime dependency that is actually used at
>>> install time, too?
>>
>> That should be a build dependency then. I'll take a look at the example you
>> cited, but my gut feeling is that what you're describing shouldn't happen.
>
> Erm, nope...  A build dependency is not meant to modify anything
> on the user's system,

Except building the new port of course. :)

> but the installation process may need to, say, rebuild indexes or
> otherwise update some kind of configuration. Think add-on packages -
> some of them might need some kind of registration in the main package's
> configuration.
>
> At least that's the way I see it, and ICBW, but I think that there are
> various legitimate cases when a run-time dependency ought to be installed
> before the package installation itself.

I guess what I'm getting at is that (as far as I can see) that's not what
happens now. The parent port is installed first, then run depends are
checked. But like I said, I'll take a look at your original example, and
those below.

Thanks,

Doug