Please test: mplayer 1.0 rc2

Thomas Zander thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 26 06:02:51 PDT 2007

On 24/10/2007, Angelo Turetta <aturetta at commit.it> wrote:
> May I ask you: if the software is at 1.0.rc2, why the port version is
> set at 0.99.xx?

Because a healthy numbering scheme (as in 'numbers') is more useful
for correct version tracking than that ludicrous approach some people
are insisting on.

> You might want to make some test on your own, but in my experience using
> a version like 1.0.r2 is supported by the port subsystem. I mean, if you
> label a version as 1.0.r2, the final version 1.0 should be considered
> greater than 1.0.r2 (and so allow users to upgrade automatically).

Well, let's see what happens when we test some mplayer version strings:

$ pkg_version -t 0.6 0.9
<
$ pkg_version -t 0.9 1.0pre7
<
$ pkg_version -t 1.0pre7 1.0pre7try2

*kaboom*

Either a software *is* 1.0 or it is not. Therefore, as long as I am
going to maintain that port, I will try to stick with sensible
numbers.

Riggs