HEADS UP: GNOME 2.20.1 available for FreeBSD

tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Oct 25 13:39:12 PDT 2007

>> I keep two personal machines at home for FreeBSD work.  One running 7
>> and
>> one running 6 (currently down due to disk failure) and both have a
>> tinderbox along with multiple jails on them.  RELENG_7 only branched
>> recently so I haven't even had much time to setup a FreeBSD 8 system.
>> I'm
>> not sure I will even have a FreeBSD 8 system anytime soon.  I have no
>> more
>> free PCs at home and already need to purchase a new Linux box which I
>> keep
>> as a reference machine.  I can scrap the FreeBSD 6 box and load FreeBSD
>> 8
>> which I have thought about but that has its own issues.  Do I drop
>> testing
>> on what will become a legacy branch soon even though it is still widely
>> used?  Mono's issues on FreeBSD have historically been thread related so
>> do I want to drop the last branch with libpthread?
>>
>> If something breaks on a development branch it will get fixed but
>> typically at a slower rate.  My personal opinion is my resources are
>> better spent making sure ports work on production branches rather than a
>> development branch.  People should expect breakage in a development
>> branch.  They should be able to expect things work and have been
>> reasonably tested when using a production branch.

>>> Mono has an 8.x problem as well.  I sent this patch to the maintainer
>>> yesterday.  It works for me, but I haven't heard back.   Folks running
>>> mono on -CURRENT are welcome to try it.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ted Faber
>>> http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP:
>>> http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc
>>> Unexpected attachment on this mail? See
>>> http://www.isi.edu/~faber/FAQ.html#SIG
>>>

>> Just committed the fix.  Thanks Ted.
>
> I haven't look at configure, so wondering how about do something like
> this?
>
> if ${OSVERSION} >= 700000
> 	@${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's|freebsd6|freebsd*|g' \
> 		${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/libgc/configure
> .endif
>
> If 6, 7 and 8 are same then a wildcard should take care of future version
> of FreeBSD to save your headache.
>
> Cheers,
> Mezz

I've talked to Phillip Neumann who maintains the ports now and we're going
to patch configure.in and send it upstream.  We have 18 months until the
latest patch to the port fails to work again. :)

tom

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org             tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |
| FreeBSD                                   http://www.FreeBSD.org |