HEADS UP: GNOME 2.20.1 available for FreeBSD

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 24 20:08:02 PDT 2007

On behalf of the FreeBSD GNOME team, it is my great pleasure to announce
that GNOME 2.20.1 has been merged into the FreeBSD ports tree.  The
official
GNOME 2.20 release notes can be found at
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.20/notes/en/ .  Beyond that, this update
includes the new GIMP 2.4 (courtesy of ahze).

The GNOME 2.20 update also includes a huge change in the FreeBSD GNOME
hierarchy.  We are now using the more standard DATADIR of
${PREFIX}/share
rather than ${PREFIX}/share/gnome. The result is that fewer patches and
hacks are needed to port GNOME components to FreeBSD.  This will mean
some
user changes may be required, so be sure to read /usr/ports/UPDATING for
more details.

Updates to the FreeBSD GNOME web site to document and announce these new
changes are forthcoming.  In the meantime, screenshots of GNOME 2.20 on
FreeBSD can be found at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/screenshots.html .

This release and the things we accomplished in it would not have been
possible without mezz's crazy idea to collapse DATADIR, and his
persistence
to make it happen successfully.  Ahze and pav also deserve thanks for
their work on porting modules and testing the whole ball of wax on
pointyhat (respectively).

The FreeBSD GNOME team would also like to thank our various testers and
contributors:

Yasuda Keisuke
Frank Jahnke
Pawel Worach
Brian Gruber
Franz Klammer
Yuri Pankov
Nick Barkas
Cristian KLEIN
Tony Maher
Scot Hetzel
Martin Matuska (mm)
Benoit Dejean
Martin Wilke (miwi)
(And anyone else I may have missed)

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org