beryl missing windows decorations

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Wed Oct 10 11:32:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 13:21 +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Petr Holub wrote:
> > > Beryl doesn't provide that functionality IIRC, I think you also need
> > > emerald installed.
> > > Emerald provides the window decorations, and is themeable.

The current (0.5.2) version of emerald is incompatible with beryl due to
api changes.  Beryl will soon be deprecated and you should be using
compiz now.

> > That's exactly why I've included emerald in the package list
> > posted previously.
> >
> > > Beryl is also outdated as the project has merged back with compiz,
> > > creating compiz-fusion
> >
> > I've also Compiz installed: if I turn it on (through beryl-manager),
> > I get decorated windows, which are however not resizable using
> > handles (button-based maximization works) and can't be moved around :(.
> > The following packages are installed for Compiz:
> > compiz-0.5.2
> > compiz-bcop-0.5.2
> > compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.5.2_2
> > compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.5.2_1
> > compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported-0.5.2_1
> > compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.5.2
> > libcompizconfig-0.5.2

You don't have all the right plugins enabled.  Install ccsm, and make
sure you have all of the "Move, Resize, Place" plugins enabled.  Also,
ensure that you have the "decoration" plugin loaded, which will provide
you with either gtk-window-decorator or emerald.

> You might want to take a look at PC-BSD or ask on their forums.  They got
> beryl working out of the box rather nicely, though I noticed missing
> window decorations on occasion for some windows (without any pattern I
> could figure out).
>
> In any case, this is certainly an issue to take upstream as it's rather
> unlikely to be a FreeBSD issue.

The key difficulties at the moment are that a lot of changes are going
on with the re-merge of compiz + fusion.  These are being sorted out and
I should have a new release of compiz coming "real soon now".  We also
need some of the latest and greatest features of Xorg/Mesa, which can
complicate things...

robert.