The scandalous status of linux-flashplugin9

Willy Picard picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Mon Oct 8 11:15:44 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 05:46:30PM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:52:18 -0500
> "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/8/07, Willy Picard <picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl> wrote:
>
> > > The thing that shocked me is the fact that the port is still in the ports
> > > tree even if it does not work! (It compiles but each try to view a Flash
> > > animation leads to a segmentation fault of Firefox). If we want the
> > > FreeBSD community to be focused on quality (I assume we all want), then
> > > this port should be removed from the ports tree or at least marked as
> > > broken.
> > >
> > the port should be marked broken for OSVERSION < 7000xx, and
> > compat.linux.osrelease = 2.4.2, as the flash9 plugin may require 2.6.16
> > linux emulation.
>
> No it shouldn't.
>
> I've never seen it crash a browser, and it works to a limited extent on
> some sites that can't be navigated without it.

I am very pleased to read that someone figured out how to make the Flash 9
plugin work ("to a limited extent"). May I ask you what your configuration is
(wich OS version) and which "tweaks" do you use (libmap.conf)?

Best regards,

Willy
Willy Picard                        e-mail: picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Dept. of Information Technology     www:    http://www.kti.ae.poznan.pl/
The Poznan University of Economics  tel:    +48 61 848 05 49
Mansfelda 4, 60-854 Poznan, Poland  fax:    +48 61 848 38 40