editors/vim -- long fetch times

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Oct 8 09:49:12 PDT 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 01:47:57 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> This is a subject I've wanted to bring up for a few years now.  Why I
> decided to bring it up now, I don't know; I guess I just felt it was
> time.
>
> Simply put: the time it takes for "make fetch" to complete in
> editors/vim gets worse and worse as more patches are released:

> Solutions as I see them:
>
> * Change the first site in MASTER_SITE_VIM to the HTTP version of
>   the main distribution site: http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/.  This
>   is already in the list, but the HTTP mirrors are *last*, not first.

You can already change this by setting

MASTER_SORT_REGEX= ^http

on such ports

> * Provide "snapshots" of the vim patches as a tgz-ball somewhere.
>   Have "make fetch" download that and untar it into DISTFILES/vim/.
>   Snapshots would need to be updated every time a new patch was added.

The trouble is that this penalises people who do keep their distfiles
cached, in favour of those that don't. And as you pointed-out this
whole thing is a non-issue if you do cache them.

> * Modify fetch(1) as described above.

It's quite easy to fetch distfiles in parallel with building, which
in most cases eliminates waiting for downloads.