struct wi_req: how to deal with removal, affects multiple ports

Andrew Thompson thompsa at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 1 14:08:08 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 09:40:35PM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on July 11th you removed the definition for struct wi_req on -CURRENT
> from sys/dev/wi/if_wavelan_ieee.h with the following commit message
>
> revision 1.21
> date: 2007/07/11 21:25:48;  author: thompsa;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -0
> Now that wicontrol has been removed from the base system the corresponding
> ioctls can be removed. These have been #ifdef'd out and left as a reference in
> case any of the RIDs need to be turned into sysctls at a later date.
>
> Reviewed by:    sam, avatar
> Approved by:    re (kensmith)
>
> I don't know why, but recently at least the ports xwlans and wmwifi fail
> to build because of the missing definition, I guess. bsd-airtools has
> recently been flagged as broken, too. Presumably due to the same reason.

Up until that commit wi(4) was the only driver to support the
SIOCGWAVELAN calls, now it has been totally removed in favour of the
net80211 systems.

> How should these ports deal with this? Both are calling SIOCGWAVELAN
> with wi_type set to WI_RID_COMMS_QUALITY.

I guess these ports should be updated to use the IEEE80211_IOC_SCAN_REQ
and IEEE80211_IOC_SCAN_RESULTS ioctls. These are driver independent and
supported by all the wireless drivers, src/sbin/ifconfig/ifieee80211.c
is a good reference.

I see that wmwifi-bsd.patch from wmwifi could be updated reasonably
easy, I can help if you like.

Andrew