Cyrus_imap23

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Wed Nov 28 16:39:08 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:18 PM, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

> jekillen wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I have a few questions about the port cyrus-imap23:
>> pkg_info produces a long list of software including a
>> lot of GUI related stuff. Does this mean that there
>> would be a GUI tool for administration of Cyrus Imap?
>> I did not see pam as one of the items in this list, but
>> I did see pam-mysql (after I installed the pam-mysql
>> port).
>> I am working with cyradm and using the documentation
>> Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO, as well as the
>> Postfix manual that covers SASL, PAM, Cyrus, etc
>> I just want to clarify what this port installs and how
>> it might differ from the above material.
>> This is a learning process for me in the spirit of 'learn
>> by doing' (and undoing and redoing if necessary).
>> Info Appreciated
>
> Hi,
>
> Not sure what you mean, this is what I get, not a single GUI in sight
> there! Possibly you are mixing it up with other things?
>
> pkg_info -r cyrus-imapd-2.3.8_1
> Information for cyrus-imapd-2.3.8_1:
>
> Depends on:
> Dependency: perl-5.8.8
> Dependency: p5-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19,1
> Dependency: p5-PathTools-3.25
> Dependency: p5-Pod-Parser-1.35
> Dependency: p5-File-Temp-0.18
> Dependency: db42-4.2.52_5
> Dependency: cyrus-sasl-2.1.22
>
> Good luck,

Thank you for the response.
This brings up another question. But first
let me explain a little. I tried pkg_info cyrus-imap23
and got the response that no package by that name
was installed and could not be found, Well, of course
that is probably not the exact name and the exact name
is expected. So I just cd'd to the cyrus-imap23 dir in
ports and did pkg_info with no parameter and got a
long list of stuff, including a lot of X11 and X windows
stuff.
The question is, if I do not know the exact name of
a package, how can I do pkg_info on it.
A corollary question is: How do I find out exactly how
much configuration a port has applied once a port
is installed. Apache with php; with or without ssl, might be a typical
example.
Thus, there is a lot of configuration steps to get Cyrus
up and running with Postfix, ClamAV, Amavis new, Spamassassin,
PAM, SASL, mysql and all that. How do I find out how much configuration
a port has done in a case like this. I did add Cyrus-imap23 and am
wondering if it also installed Cyrus SASl. It did create the cyrus user
and mail group; I found that out when I went to create the cyrus user
and mail group myself. I do not see a separate port for Cyrus SASL.
There is a fine line between benefiting from someone else's
very good work, and knowing when it is appropriate to take
matters into one's own hands.
I am not a control freak, I just like to know how stuff works
so I can know when it is not working right, and fix it. This is
also not really a complaint or criticism. Just a petition for
guidance.
Thanks again
Jeff K