Submitting a new port if send-pr is broken

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 25 21:46:39 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:19:59AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Due to a ISP firewall it is not possible for me to send/recv mail how
> do I submit a new port since send-pr requires email?

If your ISP filters outbound TCP port 25, then it means they're probably
doing so to stop/curb spam or trojans that proliferate through SMTP.
They likely leave TCP port 587 open to the world (but there's no
guarantee of that either).

Every ISP I've seen who does the above outbound filtering does so while
providing their own SMTP server available for customer use -- and
provides a firewall hole for communicating with their own SMTP servers
on TCP port 25.  If your ISP filters outbound port 25 and doesn't offer
you an SMTP server of their own for use, then that's truly bizarre and
you should discuss it with your ISP.

You should be able to set up a local mailer/MTA (sendmail, postfix,
etc.) and tell it to use your ISP's mail server on TCP port 25, and it
all should just "magically work" unless they require SMTP AUTH (not many
do from what I've seen; they base authentication on the source IP of
customers).

sendmail refers to this feature as SMART_HOST, while postfix refers to
it as a transport destination (see transport(5)).