overlay troubles with mplayer

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Tue Nov 20 09:32:32 PST 2007

The following scenario

FreeBSD 7.0-Beta-2 on i386 with a Radeon Mobility 7500

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2464 x 900, maximum 3072 x 1536
VGA-0 connected 1440x900+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
410mm x 257mm
   1440x900       59.9*+   75.0     59.9
LVDS connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       59.9*+   60.0
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I want to play a video on the right screen (external 16:10 LCD screen) with
mplayer. Moving the window to the screen and resizing works fine, but as soon
as I hit F for the full screen mode the video is scaled inside a 1024x768
region in the top left corner of screen (the remaining space is black), as if
it was meant to be drawn on the first screen.

The workaround is to make the larger screen the primary one by moving it to
the left

$ xrandr --output VGA-0 --left-of LVDS

I don't know weather this is a bug in mplayer or in xorg, so I'm sending this
to ports@ and x11 at .

Suggestions about the cause as well as workarounds that don't require me to
move the monitors around (from an xrandr perspective) are highly appreciated.