FreeBSD Port: net-snmp-5.3.1_7

Jean-Yves Avenard jean-yves.avenard at hydrix.com
Thu Nov 15 08:40:46 PST 2007

Hello

I have written a MIB for net-snmp allowing reading IPFW counters
remotely.

this is great for say measuring traffic for a freebsd router, etc.

I wrote both the MIB for ipfw1 and ipfw2 several years ago and have
been using it on production servers for years (since 2001).

several people have been using it as well for a while .

i have maintained the ipfw2 version up to date and it will work fine
with the latest version of net-snmp

I thought it would be a great idea to merge it with the freebsd port
as I believe not having ipfw MIB by default on freebsd is a problem.

packages are available there.
http://www.hydrix.com/Download/Utils/MIB/

the ipfw1 may not compile anymore, haven't used it for a while. it has
extra features over the ipfw2 version though, such as reading the ipfw
rules, or creating some. but who is using ipfw1 these days ?

for the ipfw2 mib, one file is a patch for the snmp-port directory,
the other for net-snmp on its own (it works on macos too)

I hope it will be useful ... let me know if you need any assistance .

Cheers
Jean-Yves
------
Jean-Yves Avenard
Hydrix Group - Embedded Development Services
www.hydrix.com | fax +61 3 8573 5289  | phone +61 3 8573 5299
VoIP: direct: 200 at voip.hydrix.com, general: info at voip.hydrix.com
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)