desktop search applications for FreeBSD

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Nov 6 20:57:39 PST 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:16:41 -0600
Novembre <novembre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is Google Desktop available for FreeBSD? I mean can it be run using
> the Linux compatibility layer on FreeBSD?
> How about Tracker? Is it good enough? I have a lot of PDF files, and I
> need something to be able to search inside

I don't know the answer, but you may want to look into desktop applications that use Lucene as their backend. There is one that works under windows quite well that does exactly what you want... i'm thinking whether to port that to u*x or maybe reinvent the wheel in a more unix friendly way (eg, without needing to have Office dlls installed,etc).

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying  I approved of it."
  Mark Twain