X.org update broke emulators/wine with old version of X

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun May 27 20:06:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 09:58:33PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >> Given that we do not have an update solution which nicely works for
> >> some non-trivial setups and situations I'm afraid this is going to
> >> hurt us.
> > Can you explain to which situations you refer?
>
> One kind of setup I am running is a ports tree mount over NFS that
> belongs to my account.  Running portupgrade, or anything else, in
> such a setting is challenging, because run as user the tools cannot
> modify crucial package database data, while running as root stumbles
> over NFS not forwarding root privilege (in the default setup).
>
> Specific issue I ran into include
>
>   ports/112819: /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:1100: [BUG] Segmentation fault
>   ports/112818: portupgrade -a fails with database error
>   ports/112816: portupgrade -f advised when /var/db/pkg not owned by user

I suspect if you want to run as non-root (or equivalent unprivileged
configuration) you will need to provide alternate writable paths for a
bunch of things (PKG_DBDIR, INDEXFILE, etc).  It should work with a
suitable setup though.

> > OK, well it's also true that X.org 6.9 is unsupported as of yesterday
> > since it is no longer present in ports.
>
> "pkg_add -r" when ran on a FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE system still only gets
> binary packages based on X.org 6.9, though.

Yeah, this is by design.  It is still supported to use those packages
as a complete set, but they cannot be mixed and matched.

Kris