Xorg-7.2: problem with fbdevhw and i128

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat May 26 16:06:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

I upgraded Xorg on my old auxiliary desktop machine (Number Nine I128
card, ASUS MM17T monitor, capable of 1280x1024x16), followed UPDATE, and
everything went smoothly. I moved my old xorg.conf in order to test new
Xorg hardware detecting capabilities (and because old configuration was
"guessed, but working"). However:

(1)
# Xorg
--------->%----------
Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)
--------->%----------

Of course, the module is here, in linux/, so:

(2)
# Xorg -modulepath
        /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules,/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/linux
--------->%----------
LoadModule: Module fbdevhw does not have a fbdevhwModuleData data
object.
--------->%----------
Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (invalid module, 0)
--------->%----------

Googling for this message returns just 3 unusable results. Of course, no
new xorg.conf was written.

(3)
Running X -config /root/xorg.conf.new (produced by Xorg -configure)
totally froze the machine.

(4)
Then, I moved back working Xorg-6.9 xorg.conf, adjusted fonts and
module paths, but got very poor results with 1280x1024 (bad image,
cursor ghosts, heavy flickering, etc.). I tried to tune HorizSync,
VertRefresh, CalcAlgorithm, DisplaySize (which was enough with
Xorg-6.9) and additionally to add Modeline array borrowed from
Xorg.0.log generated in (2) and to change options as explained in
i128(4x), but in vain. The only working resolution for now is 1024x768
(as you can see in attachments).

I attached:

  * Xorg.0.log from command (4) (-with-old-xorg.conf) -- which,
    slightly modified, works with 1024x768; if needed I'll post the log
    with working but poor 1280x1024
  * Xorg.0.log from command (2) (without-xorg.conf)
  * old working xorg.conf (-working-with-Xorg-6.9)

I have no idea what causes this. What I should do to

  a) restore the optimal 1280x1024x16 mode?
  b) start Xorg without initial xorg.conf (i.e. to solve fbdevhw issue)?

I appologise if I missed something easy or obvious. I have checked
all Xorg start related problems discussed so far, nothing seems
similar to this one. Many thanks in advance.

Nikola Lečić