can't startx after xorg upgrade: could not open default font 'fixed'

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Wed May 23 15:02:46 UTC 2007

Quoting Etienne Robillard <granted14 at yahoo.com>:

> Hi eculp,
>
> Yes -- I'm gettting the same results here on
> 7.0-CURRENT.
> I've compiled with gcc 3.4.6 and trying to start
> /usr/local/bin/X returns a segmentation fault and the
> message you've described below.

Thanks Etienne.

My case is a bit different.  I'm first testing the upgrade on a stable box.
FreeBSD HOME.encontacto.net 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #258: Mon
May 21 08:02:18 CDT 2007
so no compiler to worry about, AFAIK.

> I dont know if that could help but maybe you could
> try recompiling x11-fonts/xorg-fonts and see what
> it does ?

I did that but forgot to add it to the list but JIC, I did it again,
just now  and still no cigar.  Same error :(

> Thanks in advance for letting me know once you've
> found a proper solution.. :)

Thanks for the confirmation.  As they say misery loves company. ;)

ed