Setting X11BASE

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun May 20 22:08:55 UTC 2007

--On May 20, 2007 5:36:26 PM -0400 Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:28:56PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> If you can show me where the instructions are for UPDATING a headless
>> server that's not running xorg at all but has some xorg libraries as
>> dependencies to other ports, I'd be happy to follow those instructions
>> instead.
>
> All upgrade steps listed apply to all users that have any subset of X
> ports installed.

OK.  They didn't work for me.

I added X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} to /etc/make.conf.

I then tried to upgrade.

I chose not to use BATCH=yes, because I prefer to see what's being
upgraded and elect whether to upgrade an individual port or not.  I chose
not use use portupgrade-devel.  I use bash so I set "export XORG_UPGRADE
yes" in my shell.  I tried portupgrade -Rf libXft, and I got an error
message that libXft was not installed.  I don't have gstreamer installed,
so I then ran portupgrade -a.  I got a indexing error message and was
prompted to run pkgdb -F to fix it.  After I realized I was cancelling
individual xorg ports (selecting not to install them), I switched to pkgdb
-L and installed all the missing dependencies.

Afterward portupgrade -ai worked fine except for the php problem.

I then ran pkg_delete xorg-manpages, but they weren't installed.  Then I
ran mergebase.sh.  Afterwards I checked to make sure that /usr/X11R6 was a
symlink to /usr/local.

I don't have the xorg meta-port installed, because this is a headless
internet server.

This is what is installed now:
pkg_info -a | grep xorg | sort -u
Information for xorg-cf-files-1.0.2_2:
Information for xorg-libraries-7.2:
WWW: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg
xorg-libraries-7.2

pkg_info -a | grep X | sort -u (only the actually libraries part)
libX11-1.1.1_1,1
libXScrnSaver-1.1.2
libXTrap-1.0.0
libXau-1.0.3_2