Specs for saving old shared libs

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 19 23:21:52 UTC 2007

Michel Talon wrote:

> Not completely because some programs install shared libraries in very
> non standard places, notably perl installs perl.so like this:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/libperl.so
> or mozilla installs mozilla libs in another strange place. And there are
> other ports which make use of such shared libraries, for example Gnome
> depends on the mozilla libs or inn depends on perl.so.

That argument smells like a red herring to me. The (short version of
the) instructions I got from Pav:

1. Before deinstall, save shared libs in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
2. After install, remove anything from /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg with
the same name as something installed by the new port.

In the case of *.so (such as the mozilla or perl files in your
example) this would result in a noop. Can you suggest a case where
something useful would actually be preserved in lib/compat/pkg? And
assuming that you can, are you sure that these apps you're concerned
about will find what they are looking for in the ldconfig path,
instead of the location in the file system where they are looking for it?

I still feel that the only safe way to do this is to find the union of
'ldconfig -r' and 'pkg_info -L' and save those files, and those files
only.

Doug