Ports tree : Xorg-7.2 release freeze, ETA?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat May 19 23:04:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 01:51:02PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to force major component testers (in this
> case Xorg 7.2) to use periodic snapshots of the ports tree (possibly CVS
> branching), while allowing continued development in the ports tree?

In this particular case ... no.  It was just too sweeping of a change,
considering the X11BASE move.

Other projects (GNOME, KDE, ...) do exactly this.  It's a tradeoff of
how much time is spent the one way or the other.

The staging process for the xorg update involved literally dozens of major
regression-test runs, most of which were done before the freeze.  Asking
them to have been doing even more, given the usual rapid rate of change in
the ports tree, would have resulted in the integration taking even longer.
As it was, we were pushing severe burnout on the people working on this
thankless task.  (And I thank flz@ again, if I haven't done so in public
already).

I can't imagine what major project on the horizon would ever be this
sweeping again.

mcl