Ports tree : Xorg-7.2 release freeze, ETA?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat May 19 21:46:58 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>>     Wouldn't it be sufficient to force major component testers (in
>> this case Xorg 7.2) to use periodic snapshots of the ports tree
>> (possibly CVS branching), while allowing continued development in the
>> ports tree?
>
> There will be very few truly major projects of this nature ever in the
> life of the ports tree. In fact, one of the reasons this IS such a major
> change is that things are being organized better now so that future
> updates to even major systems like X won't be anywhere near so painful.
>
>> Part of my concern is based in the fact that this might be causing
>> issues with customer integrity,
>
> Whose customers are you talking about? FreeBSD doesn't have customers,
> it has users.

Sorry -- thinking of work =\.. I meant 'end users'.

>> thus degrading confidence in FreeBSD as a production product.
>
> Confidence would have been degraded a lot more if the xorg7 changes were
> rushed into the tree causing massive breakage and unhappiness for our
> users.

True, but I wonder how end users are going to take to the fact that a
lot of ports were removed or changed in the 7.2 integration period. I've
noticed a lot of 'deletes' for ports when running csup today.

> The portmgr team was in a no-win situation here. I personally am glad
> that they erred on the side of caution.

Perhaps, but I think that some of these things maybe could have been
handled differently ( / better?) if source branching was in place, both
for devs and for end-users in the X.org 7.2 evaluation phase.

> Doug

-Garrett