HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

James Snyder jbsnyder at fanplastic.org
Fri May 18 20:48:45 UTC 2007

Another successful upgrade to report, although not without some trials
and tribulations.  The end result is that I have things going with the
NVIDIA drivers, compositing works (I've even fired up Compiz and though
that's not 100% stable, it's quite usable so long as a few things are
avoided. Window decorations died once while switching back and forth to
another virtual terminal and GL screensavers hang up (first frame
rendered, subsequent ones do not).

Regarding the trials and tribulations.  I did not, at first, get the
message that one shouldn't overlay the testing tree on top of the older
tree, and did the first libXft upgrade at that point.  That failed and
subsequently I needed to do a series of pkgdb -F & portupgrade -a
commands along with a few make deinstalls to make everything happy.  I
could post the log of going through all that, however, it's incredibly
long, and likely a bit on the confusing side due to not giving up on any
dead-ends :-)

Merge executed, had to then manually do the simlink.  After that, I had
trouble with the default font fixed and cursor not being found.  I
needed to install the appropriate misc-misc & misc-cursor fonts to get
that going appropriately.  I also had to manually install mouse and
keyboard input drivers after the new xorg drivers directory was
initially created during the upgrade process as a file rather than a
directory.

Best.

-jsnyder