Specs for saving old shared libs

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri May 18 14:47:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007 08:38:40 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Benjamin Lutz writes:
>
> >  The last part seems to be the catch here. How about providing a
> >  tool that scans all binaries in the standard locations for what
> >  libs they depend on, and also allows the user/admin to specify
> >  the paths to binaries that he installed on his own, then outputs
> >  a list of unused libraries?
>
> 	Are you aware of "libchk" and "portsclean"?

I have dozens of these libraries in my compat/pkg  directory and I doubt
that any should be needed, since I'm fully up-to-date, and mostly use
portmanager. And yet portsclean never touches them, so I'm guessing
that it only actually removes obsolete libraries that are shadowed by
installed libraries.

One thing that does worry me a bit, is the possibility that a new port
install might find these one of these orphaned libraries, and fail to
install a LIB_DEPENDS port.