Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Wed May 16 22:14:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 16:01 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Ok chaps, I think I have it.
>
> This involves no recursive calls of make.  Furthermore the
> dependencies
> it creates are the real dependencies on your system, not what ports
> thinks it should be, because it gets all the information from
> /var/db/pkg.  On my system it takes a second or two to register a port
> -
> it takes about the same amount of time whether it has few
> dependencies
> or many, except when there are zero dependencies, when it takes no
> time
> at all.
>
> If I get some positive feedback on this one, I'll submit a PR.  You
> can
> try it out by typing "make actual-package-depends" as opposed to
> "make
> package-depends."

Ok, I'm really trying to make sense of these numbers...

For gnome2-2.18.1_1 on my -current system...

rnoland-ibm% make package-depends|wc -l
     362
rnoland-ibm% make actual-package-depends|wc -l
     294

Registered the old way:
rnoland-ibm% grep @pkgdep /var/db/pkg/gnome2-2.18.1_1/+CONTENTS|wc -l
     176

and the new way:
rnoland-ibm% grep @pkgdep /var/db/pkg/gnome2-2.18.1_1/+CONTENTS|wc -l
     294

I put together an awk script yesterday which was very close to the one
Alexander posted and got 295... and the diff of the output of my awk and
actual-package-depends is much more than a single line, which I also
can't yet explain.

robert.