Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:05:59 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> 1.  Pulling in the dependencies.  This is in effect doing a "make package-depends".  You can
> do this for yourself, and see that it takes a long time.  I honestly don't see how to make
> this faster, as presumably it involves calling "make" on all the dependency ports, and I
> would guess that each new invocation of make adds considerable overhead just loading the
> program.

This is "static" information, required for nearly all ports -> put it in

> 2.  Sorting the dependencies in pkg_create.  My fix now cuts this out completely.  Thus there
> is no need to change the structure of /var/db/pkg to use databases or anything like this.

I haven't had time to look at your patches, but are your removing second
order dependancies? This would cut down the tree size considerably.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."