first? patch [ HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing ]

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue May 15 21:52:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:29:30PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:

> On 13/05/2007, at 5:26 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> >>I hope there's a nice prize, or showgirls springing out of big cakes.
> >>
> >>http://people.freebsd.org/~lawrance/xorg-upgrade.bz2
>
> I think I have figured this out.  In short: portupgrade does not
> include new, previously not installed, dependencies in its list of
> tasks when updating.   In this particular case, gstreamer-plugins-bad
> was built before one of its dependencies was updated, and we end up
> with a crufty old reference to X11R6.
>
> Less short:
>
> Before the xorg upgrade, gstreamer-plugins-bad was not installed on
> my system.   It was installed during the upgrade as part of running
> "portupgrade -a".
>
> Upon further inspection of the xorg-upgrade log above I noticed that
> there were two build attempts for gstreamer-plugins-bad, and neither
> was directly performed by portupgrade (ie. the ports framework did
> it).  The first attempt was as a dependency of gstreamer-plugins-
> dts.  The second (and successful) attempt was as a dependency of
> gstreamer-plugins-xvid.
>
> I reverted the system to its original state and ran "portupgrade -an"
> to show the order of updates that portupgrade would perform.
> gstreamer-plugins-bad was not in the list.  I think this means is
> that if a port being upgraded has a new dependency, that dependency
> will _not_ be included in the list portupgrade uses to determine
> which packages to update and at what point.

That sounds correct.  It is the same portupgrade design flaw that
forces us to do the manual out-of-order libXft upgrade :(

I guess we will have to also special-case this port too, perhaps by
replacing the portupgrade -a by

portupgrade -a -x "gstreamer*"

and then adding a

portupgrade "gstreamer*" step afterwards for users who have it
installed.  If anyone can think of a cleaner solution please let me
know.

Kris