Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Sat May 12 19:45:29 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> What takes so long in my opinion, is that not only the dependencies are
>>> registered as dependencies, but that the dependencies of dependencies
>>> are also
>>> registered as dependencies and so forth. Since all the commands
>>> supplied by
>>> ports walk dependencies recursively, as well as tools like
>>> portupgrade, this
>>> is unnecessary (that is, assuming that I understood bsd.port.mk
>>> correctly).
>>>
>>> To abandon this behaviour would in my opinion only have advantages.
>>
>> Go and substantiate your opinion with some facts, then we'll talk.
>
> I've done a little poking around.  As of right now, I think that the
> registering takes a huge amount of time inside of a function called
> "sortdeps" which may be found in /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/lib/deps.c.
>
> Stephen

Thank you for looking into this. I was expecting to have to make experminental
patches for the pkg tools as well as in bsd.port.mk to back my opinion. However
I wouldn't have been able to start earlier than two weeks from now. And before
that I want to look into some acpi_ibm and psm regressions I'm experiencing
with stable.