HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat May 12 05:04:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 11:19:38PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> >>My apologies.  Let me say it again.
> >>
> >>I am making xorg-7.2 completely from scratch (i.e. no old ports
> >>whatsoever) using make install.
> >>1.  you have to make libXft before making xorg.
> >>2.  you need to do "setenv XORG_UPGRADE yes", even though the latter
> >>apparently should not be needed if you are not upgrading.
> >
> >These both seem wrong to me, can you provide your typescript?
> >
> >Kris
>
> I put them in http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen/xorg-builds/
>
> xorg-build goes up to the error which was fixed by building libXft,
> whose typescript is xorg-build2.  xorg-build3 goes up to the error which
> is subsequently fixed with "setenv XORG_UPGRADE yes".  In time I'll put
> up xorg-build4 which gives the subsequent totally successful build of xorg.

OK, the xorg-build failure log was actually not due to libXft, it was
due to the nonexistence of the /usr/X11R6 directory (due to a bug it
wasn't displaying the error message pointing you to UPDATING in this
case - this is now fixed in git).

The fix was just to set XORG_UPGRADE, which just makes it ignore the
/usr/X11R6 test (it's an anti-foot-shooting method to get people to
read UPDATING instead of blindly doing portupgrade -a after their
cvsup, which will trash their X installation and package database and
is difficult to recover from).

Once you complete those instructions your /usr/X11R6 will be a symlink
and the variable will no longer need to be set.

Kris