Local ports "up-to-date" version doesn't match website

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri May 11 20:41:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:08:53PM -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> At 11:10 a -0800 05/11/2007, Beech Rintoul didst inscribe upon an
> electronic papyrus:
>
> >Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Locally I see this:
> >>
> >>/usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl> pkg_version -v
> >>[...]
> >>lynx-ssl-2.8.5_2                    =   up-to-date with port
> >>

> >>But freebsd.org website shows 2.8.6_4,1
> >>
> >>How do I get my ports to know what's actually available?
> >>

> >>thanks,
> >>-Walter
> >>running os version 4.10
> >Freebsd 4.x is no longer supported in any way. Newer ports will not
> >build on 4.x. You should consider upgrading to 6.2.
>
> Then why does the website info for lynx port list versions from 6.x
> down to 4.10?

No-one's got around to removing 4.x from the list I guess.

> When I saw that, I figured it was supported....

That's not the canonical location for support status information.

> I know 4.10 is EOL'd; it's just that it's a production Internet
> server and I don't know how long it'd be down for. I've never
> upgraded a FreeBSD system before and have no idea how to go about it
> (it's a remote dedicated server, unmanaged from my hosting provider).
> Will I have to reinstall every port afterwards, or can I upgrade the
> OS and the existing ports will just work?

They will continue to work as a 'static' installation, but if you plan
to compile new ports (or recompile or update them) at some point in
the future, then you need to rebuild everything, because you can't mix
and match 4.x and 6.x libraries in the same binary.

Kris