pkg_add needs to have a command line option that replicates PACKAGESITE

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed May 9 18:42:21 UTC 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 5:07 AM, Clement Laforet wrote:
>> pkg_add really needs a command line option instead of only using the
>> environment variables...
>
> "pkg_add -r http://my.freebsd-repo.com/packages/All/
> my_packages-1.0.tbz"
> works fine ;-)

The behavior is not identical.  For example, this works only for a
single package.

/usr/sbin/pkg_add -r http://my.location/packages/{pkgname}

This works for multiple packages:

export PACKAGESITE=http://my.location/packages/
/usr/sbin/pkg_add -r {pkgname} {pkgname2}

Also, the former will not resolve dependancies properly (it alters
the path), whereas the latter will.

In short, they are not synonymous.  A command line option which is
synonymous with the environment variable would be very useful in
scripts/cfengine/etc.

I thought I had opened a bug on this, but apparently not...

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation