HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 7 15:40:28 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:34:36PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > Yeah, I guess and unsure at the same time since I didn't write this entry.
> > > :-)
> >
> > OK.
>
> I didn't write it either, but it holds some truth.  Yes, not having the
> library at all would cause a build failure, but having multiple versions
> of the same library can lead to runtime failures.  It's much easier to
> troubleshoot a missing .so that it is to hunt down strange runtime
> failures (usually).
>
> I'm not arguing for or against portmaster, or the "keeping old shared
> objects" functionality.  I'm just putting this FAQ entry in context.
> Yes, perhaps it could be re-worded for clarity.

It is true that this situation causes weird runtime errors when it
arises, but the underlying cause is not because of portupgrade's
saving of the old libraries (it's whatever lead to the situation of an
old port not being rebuilt when the shared library version changed).
i.e. probably because a developer forgot to bump the portrevision.

BTW, for users of portupgrade, the libchk port makes tracking down
this kind of problem ("what installed port is linked to the old
library and needs to be rebuilt"?) easy.

Kris