HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon May 7 15:34:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 18:26 -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > >I guess your silence means you agree with me here :)
> >
> > Yeah, I guess and unsure at the same time since I didn't write this entry.
> > :-)
>
> OK.

I didn't write it either, but it holds some truth.  Yes, not having the
library at all would cause a build failure, but having multiple versions
of the same library can lead to runtime failures.  It's much easier to
troubleshoot a missing .so that it is to hunt down strange runtime
failures (usually).

I'm not arguing for or against portmaster, or the "keeping old shared
objects" functionality.  I'm just putting this FAQ entry in context.
Yes, perhaps it could be re-worded for clarity.

Joe