HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 7 22:21:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:06:59AM +0200, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> Le Lun  7 mai 07 ? 22:58:50 +0200, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org>
>  ?crivait?:
>
> > The other problem is that if you're going to automatically update all
> > the dependencies for a port, you need to upgrade all the stuff that
> > depends on them as well.  For example the gettext upgrade got triggered
> > on my laptop by upgrading something the used gmake.  The result was that
> > virtually nothing outside the base worked any more.  Saving the shared
> > library would have prevented this and allowed a more graceful upgrade
> > over a few weeks.  The fact that a basic desktop setup takes days to
> > build on fairly fast hardware seems to be an indication that we need a
> > workaround here.  There are other possible solutions, but saving copied
> > of libraries seems to be the accepted one at the moment.
>
> For this kind of upgrades, it's possible to add
>
> libgettextpo.so.1	libgettextpo.so.3
> libintl.so.6		libintl.so.8
>
> in your /etc/libmap.conf. Just delete these lines after the storm...

It is possible, but this is not something that non-technical users
will think of (nor should they have to).

The question is whether portmaster is to be considered as a tool for
advanced users only (those who are capable of cleaning up and
repairing damage themselves when an upgrade fails), or if it is
intended as a tool for ordinary users who don't want to (or are not
capable of) doing this kind of manual repair work.

If the goal is the former, then that's OK, but if it is the latter,
then an honest evaluation leads one to conclude that portmaster is
still in the process of maturing towards achieving this goal.

Kris