HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon May 7 20:06:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 07 May 2007 13:42:31 -0500, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:38:46AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >After many months of hard work (mostly by flz@, as well as others) we
>> >are approaching readiness of the xorg 7.2 upgrade.  Because this is a
>> >huge and disruptive change, we're going to approach it very carefully.
>>
>> Good news that this is moving forward! Congrats to all involved.
>>
>> >The current plan is the following:
>> >
>> >2) Final prep work in git repository.  We need a day or two to confirm
>> >the upgrade method for users.  Unfortunately testing has exposed a
>> >critical deficiency in portupgrade so 'portupgrade -a' will not be
>> >enough to give a working upgrade, and some pre-upgrade steps will be
>> >required.
>>
>> Has portmaster been evaluated as an upgrade tool? I'm in a better
>> position atm to be able to address any deficiencies if that will help
>> speed this along.

My plan is to run 'portmaster -r pkg-config\*'. I think it should do fine
as 'portmaster -r' will do it in order very well.

> No, at a minimum I am not comfortable recommending its use until it
> saves old shared libraries across updates (I sent you email about this
> a while ago), which is a vital safety and robustness mechanism.

I am one of people that dislike this and it is not required to get build
function. ;-) I think this option should be disable by default, because
put stuff in lib/compat/pkg hides the problems. Also:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q2
[...]
Prevent two versions of the same library.

A common source of build failures is the existence of multiple versions of
the same library. This can happen if you have two different versions of a
port installed, or can even happen through normal portupgrade use. You can
back up the libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg and remove them, and
then run portupgrade -u -rf pkg-config. This will force a rebuild of all
GNOME-related apps (and a fair number of other apps) without retaining old
versions of libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.

Cheers,
Mezz

>> >Also a post-upgrade step is required to deal with merging
>> >remaining files from /usr/X11R6 into /usr/local.
>> >
>> >3) Once the proposed upgrade method is in place, we will publish a
>> >tarball of the prepared ports tree and request that *all* our ports
>> >developers test the upgrade on their own machines before it is
>> >committed to CVS.  There are many things that can go wrong and we need
>> >to make sure that the upgrade goes as smoothly as possible for our
>> >less technical users.  In particular all ports committers are expected
>> >to participate in this process of eating our own dogfood :)
>>
>> Any updates on a timeline for this?
>
> Some time this week
>

>> >4) Once a suitable number of success reports (e.g. 50) are received
>> >and all reported issues are resolved, we'll proceed with importing
>> >into CVS.
>> >
>> >5) CVS will stay frozen for a period to be evaluated (probably another
>> >couple of weeks) to deal with the inevitable remaining fallout as
>> >users encounter yet more problems with the upgrade.
>>
>> Do you intend to keep the entire ports tree frozen for weeks? Perhaps
>> I misunderstand?
>
> Yes, that is the plan.  This is an "all hands" event, and keeping it
> frozen is the best way to focus developers onto those tasks.
>
> Kris

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org